Update: We still have supplies left, so we are extending this offer through September 15. Get yours now!
I wrote about DIY Deodorant last month. Since that time, I’ve been on a quest to develop a deodorant that can stand up to the demands of an active, menopausal woman living in south Florida. I think I’ve found it, and my two testers (daughters aged 13 and 20) agree.
Let me say that this is a deodorant, not an anti-perspirant. I am convinced that it’s not possible to create a natural anti-perspirant because perspiration is natural. Blocking it is not.
Great care went into assuring that only truly natural and non-toxic ingredients were used in our formula. As you’d expect, we left out all the big-name harmful ingredients, such as:
- Parabens – Endocrine disrupters
- Aluminum – Implicated in Alzheimer’s disease, learning and memory, and possibly breast cancer
- Propylene Glycol – Toxic chemical used to de-ice airplane wings, among other applications
We also had to say no to some ingredients that frequently appear on the labels of so-called natural products because they all contain hidden aluminum. Ingredients in this category include:
- Mineral Salts/Potassium Alum – Contain aluminum. Crystal and other “natural” deodorants include mineral salts (sometimes labeled as such and other times labeled as potassium alum). Potassium alum is an abbreviation for potassium aluminum sulfate, also known as aluminum potassium sulfate. Although some makers of deodorants claim that potassium alum is safer than other forms of aluminum, there is no data to support this claim. In fact, the existing data suggests that all forms of aluminum are absorbed when applied topically.
- Kaolin Clay – Made from aluminum silicate. Sure, a deodorant with kaolin will provide better anti-wetness than one without it, but if you’re trying to avoid aluminum, then you need to avoid kaolin and other clays.
So what is in the formula? Here’s what’s in our all-organic, Wholly Natural deodorant:
- Corn starch (organic, non-gmo) – absorbent
- Baking Powder (organic, aluminum free) – deodorizer and absorbent
- Baking Soda (organic, aluminum free) – deodorizer and absorbent
- Jojoba oil (organic) – natural emollient
- Shea butter (organic) – natural emollient
- Tea Tree Oil (organic) – natural antiseptic
- Essential Oils (organic) – natural fragrance
Get Yours Free!
We want your feedback on this formula. To that end, we are offering a limited quantity of free jars in exchange for your honest feedback. Deal? If so, send us your name and address and we’ll get one out to you. Use our Contact form and indicate “Wholly Natural Deodorant” in the subject line and your mailing address in the message.
Note: This offer is limited to US residents in the contiguous 48 states and will be discontinued on 8/31/12 or when supplies run out.